Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"The future belongs to those who prepare for it today" - Malcolm X



On May 19th 2011, Malcolm X’s birthday my teachers and I went to an event hosted by Neighborhood Unity. We arrived kind of late, but made it just in time to watch a documentary on the life of Malcolm X. The documentary talked about the key points in Malcolm’s life, but left out some other points (important ones).  The documentary was about an hour long. After we watched the documentary the host gave us the opportunity to speak about the film we just viewed. 

The conversation went from being about Malcolm X to white people to education in New Orleans and back to Malcolm X.  I enjoyed hearing the open discussion on the educational topic being a 16 year old teenager living in the Lower 9th Ward where there is only one school.  I felt like I had a part in this meeting.

The small room was so emotional I felt empowered by hearing the stories others had to share. Two speakers stood out the most to me.  First, this young lady who had so much passion and almost broke down and cried talking about the state of public schools in New Orleans, but she didn’t.  The second one that stood out to me was my teacher Qasim who got up toward the end of the open discussion and spoke on the need for solidarity and unity in struggle.  I was the last to speak, which meant I didn’t have that much time and I spoke for less then two minutes, and was then cut off because lack of time.

After sitting down some guy walked in I heard a lot of noises and look over by the door some random guy for no reason what so ever (hint hint) came in the room and jump on the host and beat him up. His mission was to disempower us but he only made us more empowered to continue the event.

After we settled down another speaker got up and spoke some poetry.  The last speaker got up with his students and he talked about the school he has started on the West Bank of New Orleans, in Algiers. He spoke for about an hour, then it was over.  

I went back home feeling both mad and empowered because of the turns of events that had happened and the fact that most of the older men was constantly pointing fingers at white people for disempowering them which may or may not be true, but personally I feel that the only person who can disempowered you is yourself after awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment